Applications require the description of a proposed project that the funds will be used for, to be conducted under the guidance of a research mentor. Applications will be accepted twice a year and the most meritorious projects will be funded. The funds may be used for qualified research expenses as defined by official UCSF policy, including materials, tuition, design and biostatistics consultation, analytic support and study-related travel. This money cannot be used to attend and present at scientific meetings. Basic science applications that do not include human subjects or use human specimens will not be accepted. Hardware and software purchases, and travel for purposes other than to present an abstract are permitted if required by the project, but are generally considered less worthy of funding than other expenditures. Salary support and entertainment are not permitted.
Priority for funding will be based upon the quality of the research protocol, feasibility and the potential to advance the applicant’s research career. Only one application may be submitted for each application cycle, but previous awardees may submit a proposal in subsequent cycles. Residents are allowed to receive a maximum of two research grants.
- Must be a full-time UCSF resident in the School of Medicine at the time funds are awarded, and must be able to complete data collection and analysis for the specified project while a resident. Students and fellows are not eligible.
- Must have a faculty mentor who submits a letter of support.
- Must use funds in the 12 months following the award.
- Must use funds for the activities detailed in the application.
- Must be willing to give yearly updates on the status of the project until completion.
- Must complete future career-tracking surveys.
- Please note that awards cannot be used for travel to attend scientific meetings, regardless of whether or not an abstract is to be presented. Travel that is necessary to collect data or conduct the research is an allowable use of the $2,000 award.
Application Instructions and Deadlines
- Annual approximate application deadlines: 10/15 and 4/15
- Notification of funding (approximate dates): 11/15 and 6/1
For more information, visit the CTSI website at http://ctsi.ucsf.edu/funding/funding-for-residents#funding.